Thursday, July 14, 2011

a little service

It was time to take in the recycling. It had been building up for quite some time now. Brandon and I loaded it in the trunk of the car, grabbed Penny and were off to get the job done. While I was sorting bottles and cans and Brandon was letting Penny explore, I saw an older woman pull up to do her recycling as well. As she got out of her car Brandon said, "Mom will you hold Penny's leash? I want to go help that lady." I was a little surprised. His helpfulness comes and goes in waves much of the time, so his wanting to help a total stranger out of the clear blue shocked me a bit. Of course I said "Sure." The lady was very grateful as he proceed to ask if he could help her get the big bags out of her car. As we all worked, we chatted. We talked about dogs and babies, family and fishing boats. We made a new friend and it was all because my little guy wanted to give a little service. Now like I said before, his desire to help is not always there, but I am thankful for the times that it is. 

1 comment: